Monday, July 7, 2008

"Celebrating" 1 year in Hawaii


Wow, I can't believe it's been 1 year since I arrived on the wonderful Island of Oahu. (HMMMM can you read the sarcasm??) I'm still not crazy about living here. Imagine going a whole year without a Target, Chick-fil-a, Kohl's, O'Charley's, Sonic, Applebee's (never thought I would miss that!), a "real" mexican restaurant, Publix, Cross Anchor Church (Ok so not everyone has Cross Anchor.. but that is my 2nd family.), AND most of all, your entire extended family. Of all the things I miss, it is family and friends that I miss the most.
Ok I guess that is enough complaining... There are some things that I am thankful for. Our family is closer now than it has ever been. I am personally closer to God than I have ever been. I know my heavenly Father loves me and has a plan for me and my family. I cling to the promises of Jeremiah 29:11-13. I think I was too comfortable with my faith. I needed to step out of my comfort zone. It just took something a little more drastic to get my attention. You know a move across the country and over the pacific ocean. The first year really hasn't been that bad. K. has been home for most of it, and we have been able to explore the island. Thankfully alot of family have been able to visit too.
With sea duty looming overhead, I find myself worrying again. I hate being the only parent to"physically" be here for the kids. It's harder on me when K. isn't here, because he is an awesome Dad!! BUT I'm thankful that it's not easy, because that means he's doing his job :)!!He is a great Daddy to both of them!! They both have a great example of what their heavenly Father is like, because their "earthly Father" is so loving!
Well that is enough whining from me. I can barely keep my eyelids open. I think it's time for bed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I hope your stay gets easier as time goes by. I know it must be hard to see positives but just think of the memories you guys will have of the beautiful places you have seen. I wish I could afford the airfare to come out for a visit. It is quite expensive to fly to Hawaii... You all will certainly be in my prayers.

    Much love, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie,
    Thank you for your words of encouragement!! We will be here for at least 2 more years, with a possibility of it being 3 more years. Save your money!! You are welcome any time!! We can always make room for family! With the cost of airfare being so high, I'm afraid I will never make it off of this island!

    Love,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete